Monday, December 12, 2011

Review: Dead Hunger (The Flex Sheridan Chronicles) by Eric A. Shelman

Dead Hunger (The Flex Sheridan Chronicles)

Description

The world has suddenly changed, and Flex Sheridan doesn't like it.

In an effort to save his sister from the zombie-like epidemic that has swept over the eastern United States and quite possibly the world, Flex re-connects with perhaps the strongest woman he knows - Gem Cardoza, his former girlfriend.

Together they take his six-year-old niece Trina, the only uninfected survivor of his sister's famiy, and his infected sister Jamie, and make a run from central Florida back to his isolated home in Lula, Georgia.

On the way they encounter another uninfected, Hemphill "Hemp" Chatsworth. A naturalized U.S. citizen, Hemp is British, and extremely smart. He holds a degree in Epidemiology and Mechanical Engineering, both of which this group will need.

Along with the crossbow-wielding Charlene "Charlie" Sanders and a pregnant Great Pyranees dog, this small group uses street smarts, book smarts, and technology to defend against the new "Abnormals" that walk the earth.

But Hemp is also compelled to learn how they got this way, and if possible, how to reverse the condition and save Flex's sister.

So grab your machine gun and take a ride in their fortified vehicles and mobile lab; you're going to want these people on your side when the Dead Hunger . . .

(Please note: This book contains strong language.)

Book Details

Title: Dead Hunger
Author: Eric A. Shelman
Genre: Zombie Apocalypse
Paperback: 272 pages
Publisher: Dolphin Moon Publishing
Release Date: October 4, 2011
ISBN-10: 0966940040
ISBN-13: 978-0966940046
Source: Author

Review

Dead Hunger is an action packed, heat packing, zombie killing, fast paced ride!

When Flex goes to check on his sister he walks into a horrific surprise waiting for him. I liked Flex’s character. He does what is right out of love and the simple fact that it’s the right thing to do. The atmosphere that Mr. Shelman creates while Flex is at his sisters house opened up the story to the fact that the whole world was about to change--being overrun with zombies. Mr. Shelman used Flex’s family to make me care right off the bat…I don’t know that I would have felt so much for the situation were it not for Flex’s niece.  That really pulled me in.

While Flex is at his sisters house he meets up with his old girlfriend, Gem. OK, I’m not gonna lie it bothered me that she just so happened to come right to Flex on the day the world was going to pot. I liked Flex and Gem together but separate I had a hard time relating to her. I couldn’t quite put my finger on it, but the next book in the series is Gem’s so maybe that will change

I did however love Hemp! Hemp is a genius scientist and a jack of all trades (Did I mention his accent?). He knows everything about guns and cars…I could use some of Hemp’s inventions when I’m going down I-85. Yes, I know I just sounded a little scary, but he made super cool stuff. I think he is my favorite character and I am really excited for his book. 

If you like zombie reads I think you will like Dead Hunger. One of my favorite quotes:

“ Cutting off the head just makes a dangerous bowling ball with teeth. You get bit, you become one. Scratched, we’re pretty sure you become one. There’s a lot we don’t know, but just act like what we’re telling you is gospel, and you should live to tell your grandkids about this. ”

This was a fast read. It was between a 3 and 4 but I don’t do half's. Just a warning in the description when it says strong language, it’s not joking and there is a lot of it. But, I enjoyed Dead Hunger.

Happy Reading,
Signature

Awesome! Reread worthy.

Recommended For
Adults: For graphic violence and strong language.

* When I checked last night the Kindle version of Dead Hunger was free!!! 
I have Amazon Prime, so I don't know if that changes things.

1 comment:

  1. Ohh... Right when I'm having my zombie-mood! (yes, I just started reading zombie apocalypses and decided they kicked ass)

    Thanks so much for sharing this! From what you've said, I think you're right, that Gem is indeed thrown in without making it belieable... and I think that mobile lab thing might make some eyebrows arch. Still, just like with Hollowmen, I think that this is a "comfort read" of sorts, and if it achieves its purpose of cool unstopping action, with some clever wit thrown in for good measure... Then I want to cehck this one out!

    Ron @ stories of my life

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for the comment love!