Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Review: The Christmas Gifts by Damien Kelly

The Christmas Gifts

Description

The season of giving is a season of darkness; a season of extended nights and twilight days. And the gifts of the season aren’t always the kind you’d hope to receive.

The Christmas Gifts: a collection of twelve tales of the uncanny, where unusual gifts - be they rare, unexpected, inappropriate or even unwanted - come wrapped in a piece of that seasonal darkness.

When loving your friend means denying your hunger. When the luster of gold doesn't stop it being a chain. When giving is another word for sacrifice. This is the Christmas Macabre. Little children walk with monsters—Saints with Devils. Everyone wears red.

Give the gift of the macabre this holiday. Suggested for mature readers. (Goodreads)

Book Details

Title: The Christmas Gifts
Author: Damien Kelly
Publisher: lulu.com
Release Date: September 20, 2011 
ISBN-10: 1447830628
ISBN-13: 978-1447830627
Source: Author

Review

Generally Christmas stories are sweet and all about spreading a little holiday cheer. The Christmas Gifts is twelve short stories that go a bit of a different route. 

This is my first experience reading any Christmas horror stories. When I agreed to review The Christmas Gifts I had no idea I would like it so much, but the description and cover is right on, so I had nothing to worry about. I love a good short story and these are little horror gems that where very satisfying to devour.

I loved these dark tales each one different from the next. There where twist and turns, paranormal, and humor that was nicely unexpected. One of my favorite stories was actually a non-paranormal about a woman getting her last vengeful present from her late husband.

Damien Kelly is an author I will be putting on my “watch for next project list!” I loved his sense of dark comedy and the steady voice he placed throughout The Christmas Gifts.

Happy Reading,
Signature

Awesome! Reread worthy.

Recommended For

Adults: For language, violence      

* There are freebies to check out on Damien’s website!

1 comment:

  1. Love this! When I saw the cover, at first I thought it was some kind of plan (don't ask) but then I read the sinopsys and... wow. Not like anything I've read before!

    I'm not much into seasonal writings, but I think I might want to give this one a chance. Just because it's so original!

    Thanks for sharing!

    Ron @ Stories of my life

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for the comment love!