Thursday, December 8, 2011

Review: Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery) by Barbra Annino

Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery)

Description

Book Two of the Stacy Justice Series has more magic, more mystery and more twists and turns than your average amusement park.
A long-lost sister
A missing mother
And murder

Stacy Justice finds herself caught in a web of deceit, betrayal and family secrets that run deeper than the Mississippi in this follow up to Annino's debut novel, OPAL FIRE.

Not only must the reluctant witch determine if the teenager on her doorstep is her sister--she's forced to confront her mother's disappearance--again. Add to that a dead guy in the kitchen and Stacy's at her witch's end. She's pretty sure the Blessed Book of her family's ancestry holds the key. Except she can't find it. And if the killer does--it may be over Stacy's dead body.

Is Ivy really her sister? Where is Stacy's mother? And what does the dead guy have to do with it all? Find out in Bloodstone.

This book has extra bells and whistles including graphics, links, recipes and an excerpt from Somebody Tell Aunt Tille She's Dead.
Author's Note: It is highly recommended that you read the first book in the series, OPAL FIRE before reading BLOODSTONE.

Book Details

Title: Bloodstone
Author: Barbra Annino
Genre: Paranormal Mystery
Publisher: Dane House
Release Date: October 7, 2011 
ASIN: B005TOXKWC
Source: Author

Review

The Stacy Justice series is spellbinding fun! Bloodstone bewitched me from the beginning and I did not want to put it down.

Bloodstone takes place not long after Opal Fire. Ivy, (The maybe sister of Stacy) has convinced Stacey that her grandma Birdie can not know about her yet. So the lot of them go and stay with Chance, Stacy’s high school sweet heart. I was all about this move! I loved Chance from book one, he is a great friend to Stacy and supports her in all her witchy ways.

Stacy does her best to stay out of trouble. In truth she doesn’t want to have anything to do with her destiny. Stacy just wants a normal life, but that’s what I love about her character, that no mater what she wants she will do what is right for others. Yes, it will be with threats, and a heaping amount of sarcasm, but she still puts others before herself.

Which brings me to the person Stacy was having to pick up, feed, or rescue the most (other than herself) this book: Ivy.  Ivy brought this foreboding attitude into the end of Opal Fire so I didn’t know what to expect of her character. But, I think if it is possible, Ivy brought in even more humor, and I think that Bloodstone read a little faster than Opal fire, too. I absolutely loved the scenes with her in Monique’s bar driving everyone crazy.

Bloodstone, just as Opal Fire, did take place (for the most part) in the lovely small town of Amethyst. I do enjoy that small town feel in books, when you can go out a door and walk almost anywhere in town. You know everyone in town, but there is obviously a lot to learn about the…these are mysteries after all.

I will admit there is a big family/witch secret reveal that had my forehead crinkle in that *what* kind of way. As a whole Bloodstone is a fun mystery. Stacy’s phone call at the end has me wanting the next in this series very soon. Barbra Annino you drive me crazy with those endings!   

Happy Reading,
Signature

Awesome! Reread worthy.

Recommended for
Older teen and up: For language, violence, and odd and creative use of puffer fish.
*Note to self: Find out were to buy puffer fish powder.

Other Books in This Series
 Opal Fire (Stacy Justice Mystery #1)

1 comment:

  1. This sounds great! I haven't even heard of this series before, so thanks for introducing me to it. I'm going to put Opal Fire on my TBR list! (I'm a new follower, so hi!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for the comment love!